Is it time to stop smoking?
Quitting smoking has many great benefits, and it doesn’t take long for them to kick in.
For instance, within 48 hours of stopping smoking, your ability to taste and smell improves. Quitting is also great for your family’s health and for your wallet too.
Every day, New Zealanders are quitting smoking to enjoy these benefits. Nobody will pretend quitting cigarettes is easy. But, if you are thinking about quitting, and you feel the time is right for you to make the change from being a smoker to a non-smoker, then there is a lot of support available to help you.
Top tips on how to quit
- Decide that you want to quit and know why. Write down your reasons and put them in a prominent place.
- Talk to your doctor, nurse or Life Pharmacist about help with quitting including quit treatments and support programmes.
- Call Quitline on 0800 778 778.
- Set a date, tell people you're quitting, and ask them to be supportive, and not offer you cigarettes. Get rid of all tobacco products.
- Don't put it off.
- Decide now what you will do instead of smoking if you get the urge for a cigarette.
- Avoid people who may encourage you to smoke – who can you be with instead?
Reward yourself with something using the money you save each week on cigarettes.