- 50g grated parmesan cheese
- 100g walnuts
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 100g fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
In a food processor add parmesan and walnuts. Mix for 30-50 seconds, or until walnuts are blended to a very fine crumble. Add garlic, basil and cayenne and process until fully combined. Drizzle in oil and process until smooth.
Makes 2 pizza balls
Here is a super-easy pizza dough recipe, or you can buy prepared frozen pizza dough balls then defrost them as you need them 8-10 hours before you wish to cook your pizza. Place the frozen dough balls in separate bowls and cover with clingwrap. Leave to thaw and rise in a warm place in your kitchen, before stretching by hand or using a rolling pin.
- 2 teaspoons dried yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- cornmeal or fine semolina, for dusting
- 3 tablespoons walnut pesto per pizza
- 6 baby mozzarella balls per pizza
- basil leaves, to garnish
- extra virgin olive oil, to garnish
- In a large bowl add yeast, sugar, 2 tablespoons of the flour and 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water. Mix to combine then set aside in a warm place until bubbling (about 20 minutes).
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the remaining flour, 1⁄2 cup warm water, oil and salt until combined (you may need a little more water).
- Tip dough out onto a floured bench and knead for about 7 minutes, until silky smooth. Wash and oil the bowl, add dough then turn it over so the oiled side is facing up. Cover with plastic wrap (or a shower cap works well) and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- Preheat a pizza stone (or oven tray) on the hottest oven setting, about 245°C, for at least 20 minutes.
- Punch dough down and divide into 2 balls. Roll out each ball on a floured board to a very thin 30cm-diameter round.
- Coat a flat metal tray with cornmeal or semolina. Place one of the rounds of dough on top then spread with walnut pesto. Dot mozzarella balls evenly over the top. Slide pizza off the tray onto the hot pizza stone (or oven tray) and bake for about 12 minutes, until the base is crisp and the mozzarella is just melting. Scatter with basil leaves, drizzle with oil and serve immediately.