Ace the “no-makeup” look with beauty’s best kept secret!
As we emerge like butterflies into spring one thing we’ll notice as the sun hits our face is that consistent skin colour is not guaranteed. Fear not, we have the ultimate solution so you can master the “no makeup” makeup look with beauty’s best kept secret!
Winter is famous for drying out skin, and without having had the luxury of nature’s healthy glow, thanks to exposure to light sun rays, flawless, even skin tone can elude us when spring arrives. And with many of us having worked all year long without a break, September skin can be dull and sallow with overly-prominent dark circles under the eyes.
Enter colour corrector: your new makeup best friend. This little secret is so easy you’ll wonder where this no. 1 beauty hack has been all your life!
What, How and Why?
Colour corrector is a palette or combination of colours that range from universal skin tones, to lavender, and a pale green. They correct rather than conceal uneven skin tone and are light and extremely easy to use. They can be used as a base under natural skin tone concealers, your foundation, or in place of foundation if a light coverage is all that is desired.
They are ideal for all skin types, from normal, combination, oily and dry, and can be used in a combination of colours to blur uneven skin tone to create a flawless look. To apply, colour correctors can be lightly dabbed onto the skin, then blended with fingertips or a brush.
Colour correctors are mistake-proof and can cover up most skin imperfections.
Your Colour Corrector Guide
- Too much Redness: To tone down red skin, pigmentation, scarring and blotchiness, use the GREEN colour corrector
- Mild Stubborn Redness or Rosiness: Skin prone to a light flush can be toned down using the YELLOW colour corrector
- Brownish Dark Circles: Remove dark circles under the eye using a YELLOW or PEACH colour corrector
- Blackish Dark Circles on a Fair Complexion: Use the SALMON-toned colour corrector
- Sallow or Yellow skin tone: Use the LAVENDER colour corrector.
To help you on your exciting, new colour corrector journey, here are 4 of our absolute faves that, perfect for all skin types!
1. L’Oréal Paris The Infallible Total Cover Concealer Palette by L’Oréal Paris (RRP $26.99) applies a very thin film that is easy to blend. It’s the ideal palette for light, medium and dark skin tones.
2. Revlon Photoready Color Correcting Pen - The easy to apply Photoready Color Correcting Pens by Revlon (RRP $29) can be patted directly onto the skin and blended to achieve a flawless, long-lasting look. The 3D Colour Correcting Pigments use state-of-the-art technology to neutralise colour imperfections. Soft precision brush allows you to target your problem zone for easy application anytime anywhere.
3. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Corrector (available in selected stores) The versatile Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Corrector range by Lancôme ($61) is an ultra-pigmented, full-coverage colour corrector set designed for long wear that camouflages imperfections and doesn’t cake or crease and is easy to blend to achieve a natural skin finish.
4. Estée Lauder The Double Wear Color Corrector by Estée Lauder ($60) is designed to correct, conceal, transform skin afflicted by dark circles, spots, redness, dullness and uneven skin tones. Each duo has two levels of coverage at either end.
One is a light, luminous long wear formula used with the brush applicator included, working on larger skin coverage areas. The other is a full-coverage hydrating concentrate with sponge tip to cover targeted areas for up to 24 hours. Colour correctors will be the best new addition to your makeup kit and guarantee you being Instagram ready 24/7!
*Header image provided by Estée Lauder